Starting in December 2018, REAL IDs became available in Rhode Island. Here’s what you need to know about obtaining a REAL ID in Rhode Island:
• Optional form of identification. You have a choice of a REAL ID or a standard license; however, starting October 1, 2020, you won’t be able to use a standard license to board a plane.
• Same fees, same expiration. Fees for both types of IDs are the same when you apply for it during your renewal period.
• Renewing is different for REAL IDs. If you would like to convert to a REAL ID upon renewal, you will need to make a trip to the DMV to show documentation. Transactions cannot be completed online. AAA members may also obtain a REAL ID at any Rhode Island branch
• Be prepared with documentation. Remember, documents must be originals and laminated documents are not acceptable.
• Click for the DMV’s full list of acceptable documents.
This article is designed to provide general information about the new requirements, visit the DMV website for the official, updated information and requirements.