Guiding Privacy Principles
MAPFRE Insurance and CMT have always made it a priority to protect your personal and privileged information. We do not sell your information. We limit access to your personal and privileged information to those persons who need to know it to perform their jobs and to provide service to you, and as required or permitted by law. We maintain physical and electronic safeguards to protect such information from unauthorized use or disclosure.
- MAPFRE Insurance and CMT only collect and maintain the minimum amount of data necessary to provide the Services.
- MAPFRE Insurance and CMT do not sell your customer information.
- MAPFRE Insurance and CMT maintain physical, procedural and technological controls to protect customer information and to comply with applicable privacy laws and regulations.
Information We Collect
We collect information that we believe is necessary to serve you effectively and to permit us to meet your needs, such as information that we receive from your insurance application collected over the telephone, through electronic devices such as laptops, phones, and tablets, and through written correspondence and communications from you.
The types of information we collect about you and the sources from which we collect the information include: your name, address, telephone number; information about your transactions with us; information that you provide to us on our Website; information from your insurance agent or broker (if applicable); information that we receive from consumer reporting agencies; information from website usage (or traffic) including information automatically collected through technology such as cookies, pixels, and tags; information from customer lists provided by other organizations and marketing data providers; information from governmental agencies and insurance-support organizations; location information on certain applications including usage based insurance programs; and information relating to insurance claims, which may include medical information.
When you use the App or Services, we will collect information about your driving style and habits, such as location, speed, acceleration, braking and cornering and combine this with weather, traffic, time of day and other contextual data. Such use is based upon you giving explicit consent to this profiling when registering to use the App or Services.
Apple, iPhone Users: Information about the App’s privacy practices are required for the Apple App Store to assist users in understanding an app’s privacy practices before they download the App on any Apple platform. In addition to the above, we may also collect the following information that is linked to your identity. This information is not used for tracking* purposes:
- Contact Information – email: Users can authenticate their access to the App via email address.
- Health & Fitness – Fitness (Motion): The App uses motion activity to detect phone use while driving
- Location – precise: This enables more accurate delineating of trips.
- User Content – Photos or Videos: User can upload a photo for their profile.
- Identifiers – User ID and Device ID.
- Usage Data – Product Interaction: User engagement analytics help us to improve user interface design.
- Diagnostics – Crash Data: Data on possible collisions is used in aggregate analytics to understand the impact of driving behaviors.
- Other Data
* Tracking is defined as linking data collected about a user or device with a third-party data for advertising, advertising measurement purposes, or sharing data about a user or device with a data broker.
Sensitive Data: MAPFRE Insurance and CMT do not collect personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and do not engage in the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, or data concerning health or medical condition.
Uses of Information We Collect
We use information that we believe is necessary to serve you effectively and to permit us for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or satisfy the purpose for which you provided the information to us including but not limited to: underwriting, rating, claims, billing, policy servicing, marketing and advertising purposes,
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our website/mobile/electronic capabilities, products, and services,
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us,
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud,
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses,
- To provide services through various applications including administering usage based insurance programs that we may operate independently or with our vendors,
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Website, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business,
- For testing, research, business & statistical analysis building statistical models, and product development, including to develop and improve our Website, products, and services,
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations,
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our [Website users/consumers] is among the assets transferred,
- To the extent that we collect protected classification information, we collect such information to comply with federal and state law and/or, to deliver employee benefits & services,
- To respond to your inquiries, questions or comments if you access our Website or if you send us an email with questions or comments. We may save your questions or comments or your e-mail address for future reference,
- To notify you about your account, products, and services with us and notify you of any changes to products and services we offer or provide to you.
In addition, the information may also assist us with managing our business including but not limited to: maintaining business continuity plans, conducting internal audits, building actuarial and statistical models, and fulfilling various legal requirements, or to perform obligations under an existing contract with you.
Information We May Share
Specifically, we may share information that we collect:
- with industry regulators, law enforcement agencies or other governmental authorities, and anti-fraud organizations or as otherwise required or permitted by law;
- with attorneys or other authorized persons in connection with legal matters, as required by subpoenas and court rules and orders; including our attorneys, reinsurers, accountants, and auditors; and such other parties as permitted or required by law;
- with companies within the MAPFRE Insurance group and affiliates of MAPFRE U.S.A., Inc.;
- with your insurance agent or broker (if applicable);
- with parties to conduct research and analyze data to improve our products and services;
- with third parties that perform services for us such as processing transactions authorized by you, providing consumer reports, building statistical models, and conducting claims investigation, medical examinations, inspections, and appraisals;
- with third parties including banks, credit unions, affinity groups, and various intermediaries with which we have joint marketing agreements to market our products;
- to enforce or apply our MAPFRE MotionSmart program Terms and Conditions/ Disclosure Notice and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of MAPFRE Insurance group and affiliates of MAPFRE U.S.A. Inc., our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
In addition, MAPFRE Insurance and CMT may provide anonymous application or website usage data to analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our website and applications. We may also share your information for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information, or otherwise with your consent.
Protecting Your Information / Information Security
WE DO NOT SELL YOUR INFORMATION TO TELEMARKETERS OR OTHER MASS MARKETING BUSINESSES.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. We limit access to your information to those persons who need to know it to perform their jobs and to provide service to you, and as required or permitted by law. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect such information from unauthorized use or disclosure.
You may have additional concerns about the privacy and security of information collected through our Website. We are committed to protecting the online privacy of visitors to our Website. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to secure your personal information. However, “perfect security” does not exist on the internet, and there is always some risk in transmitting information electronically. We use security measures consistent with industry standards, such as firewalls and encryption technology, to protect your information. Information we share with third parties are also subject to appropriate security evaluations and confidentiality provisions to limit the purposes for which information shared may be used.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our website or an account with us, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
MAPFRE Insurance® is a brand and service mark of MAPFRE U.S.A. Corp. and its affiliates, American Commerce Insurance CompanySM, Citation Insurance CompanySM; The Commerce Insurance CompanySM; Commerce West Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA. 06715), MAPFRE Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 18643), and MAPFRE Insurance Company of FloridaSM (Miami, FL).
Access and Correction of Personal Information
If you are a resident of Arizona, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon or Virginia, you have the right to access and correct the personal information that we have collected about you. Upon the request of residents of other states, we will take reasonable steps to verify the accuracy of the personal information in our records.