Get covered in minutes!



Home > Blog > What Does Home Flood Insurance Cover?

What Does Home Flood Insurance Cover?

According to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), 90% of natural disasters in the United States involve flooding.

Depending on where your property is located, you may be more prone to flooding than someone else. But the truth of the matter is, anywhere it rains, it can flood.

A few of the most common causes of floods include storms and hurricanes, heavy rains, and levee breaches.

How much flooding can cost you

According to NFIP, managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), one inch of water in a single-story, 1,000-square-foot home can cause $11,000 worth of damage. One foot of water in a 2,500-square-foot single-story home can cause more than $29,000 in damage. You can estimate potential damage with NFIP’s flood damage cost calculator.

Among the many things that could be damaged in a flood situation are your home’s drywall, baseboards, carpets, and furniture.

Water damage events not typically covered under a standard homeowner’s policy

Many severe water damage events aren’t typically covered under your standard homeowner’s policy. When you have a homeowner’s policy with MAPFRE, things that are not usually covered include:

  • Surface water flood damage
  • Water damage resulting from lack of maintenance or negligence
  • Repair of the source of the leak (e.g., water heater or washing machine)
  • Water and sewer backup, but additional coverage may be available
  • Groundwater that enters through basement walls and floors

Because flood water can cause extensive damage to your home and property, it’s recommended that homeowners purchase flood insurance. Flood insurance can be purchased by many private insurers or through the NFIP.

What’s covered with NFIP flood insurance

When you purchase flood insurance with NFIP, two types of coverage are offered to homeowners: building coverage and contents coverage.

Among some of the protections for building coverage are:

  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Furnaces and water heaters
  • Refrigerators, stoves, and built-in appliances
  • Permanently installed carpeting
  • Permanently installed cabinets
  • Window blinds
  • Detached garages
  • Fuel tanks, well water tanks and pumps, and solar energy equipment

Some of the protections for content coverage include the following:

  • Personal belongings like clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
  • Curtains
  • Washer and dryer
  • Window air conditioners
  • Microwave oven

How much does flooding coverage cost?

When you take a policy with NFIP, you can choose your coverage amount. Your agent will be able to discuss your coverage options with you.

Not sure if you need flood insurance? By visiting FEMA, you can learn about the risk factors and whether your community is in a flood zone. Not sure if you need flood insurance?

To purchase flood insurance with NFIP, contact them at 877-336-2627 or use the NFIP insurance provider locator to find a provider near you. Remember, there is typically a 30-day waiting period for an NFIP policy to go into effect.

If you already have flood insurance with NFIP and need to file a claim, instructions on how to do so can be found on their website.

And make sure you have the right home and auto insurance coverage with MAPFRE by talking to an independent agent in your state. You can also get a fast, free quote online in Massachusetts today to see how much you could save!

Please Note:This content is not intended to describe any specific coverage offered by MAPFRE Insurance. No coverage is provided, bound or guaranteed by this article. Available coverages, credits and discounts vary from state to state and are subject to eligibility criteria and policy terms/conditions, which will control in the event of conflict between this article and your insurance policy. For information about your policy, please review your individual policy contract and speak with your insurance representative.

MAPFRE Insurance® is a brand and service mark of MAPFRE U.S.A. Corp. and its affiliates, American Commerce Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 4928-8); Citation Insurance CompanySM; The Commerce Insurance CompanySM; Commerce West Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 1372-2); and MAPFRE Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 3039-5). Not all products available in all states.


Preventing Home Water Leaks

Preventing Home Water Leaks

 Having water damage in your home can be costly. That's why it's important to not only make sure you properly maintain your home, but that you have the right home insurance coverage. According to iProperty Management, the average home insurance claim for water damage...

read more
Tips for Fire Safety Month

Tips for Fire Safety Month

Our customer’s safety and peace of mind are essential to us. During Fire Prevention Month in October and all year long, we want to ensure you and your family have an escape plan should a fire break out at your home and that you take adequate safety measures to prevent...

read more
Basement Fire Safety Tips

Basement Fire Safety Tips

Fires can happen in any part of the house, but the basement is one of the most dangerous areas. If you have a basement, having little to no windows and having only one point of entry could make it difficult to escape if there is a fire. Crews fighting a potential...

read more