Whether you’re prepping your Thanksgiving meal all week or that day, it’s important to be responsible when cooking to avoid injuries and fires in the kitchen.
Fire departments across the country responded to an estimated 1,400 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving of 2019, according to the National Fire Protection Association. The leading cause of associated fires and fire deaths was unattended cooking, the association reported. Cooking was deemed the leading cause of U.S. home and home fire injuries year-round, and the second-leading cause of home fire deaths.
So what can you do to keep yourself and your loved ones safe in the kitchen? Here are some helpful tips:
- Never leave the kitchen while cooking on your stove as some types of food with oil need constant attention
- Keep a lid next to pans in the event of a fire. If a fire ignites, place the lid over the pan, turn off the burner and wait for the pan to cool
- If a fire ignites in your oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. Do not open the door until you know the fire is out
- Keep items like pot holders, oven mitts, wooden or plastic cooking utensils away from your stove and other appliances as they can catch fire
- Don’t wear loose clothing or big sleeves while cooking
- Keep kids and pets at least three feet away from all cooking areas as steam and hot spills can cause hot burns
- If frying your turkey, never leave it unattended and do so outdoors in an open area
We hope these tips were helpful in keeping your loved ones safe while you prepare delicious holiday meals. Holidays and amazing food go hand in hand, so do bundling your home and auto insurance in Massachusetts with MAPFRE. Get a fast, free quote today to see how much you could save!
Please Note: This content is not intended to describe any specific coverage offered by MAPFRE Insurance. No coverage is provided, bound or guaranteed by this article. Available coverages, credits and discounts vary from state to state and are subject to eligibility criteria and policy terms/conditions, which will control in the event of conflict between this article and your insurance policy. For information about your policy, please review your individual policy contract and speak with your insurance representative.
MAPFRE Insurance® is a brand and service mark of MAPFRE U.S.A. Corp. and its affiliates, including American Commerce Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 4928-8), Citation Insurance CompanySM, The Commerce Insurance CompanySM, Commerce West Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 1372-2), MAPFRE Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 3039-5), and MAPFRE Insurance Company of FloridaSM.