Get covered in minutes!



Home > Blog > Insuring Your Jewelry and Other Valuables

Insuring Your Jewelry and Other Valuables

Are you planning on gifting (or getting) jewelry anytime soon? Maybe you inherited your father’s old pocket watch or firearm. Or, maybe you just splurged on an expensive painting or sculpture to decorate your new place.

If you own any type of valuable item that is difficult to replace, you might want to consider adding an insurance enhancement to your homeowners, renters or condo insurance policy.

What is an enhancement or endorsement?
An endorsement, sometimes called a rider or floater, is an amendment or add-on to a homeowners, renters, or condo insurance policy. For the additional cost of an endorsement, you would typically be covered for items that might not be covered under your standard homeowner’s policy.

Doesn’t my homeowners insurance already cover my jewelry and expensive items?
Some standard homeowners policies include coverage for jewelry, watches and furs in the event they are damaged by fire or a windstorm or if they are vandalized or stolen. But according to the Insurance Information Institute, the policy may only provide limited coverage amounts for certain items based on their value and cause of loss. In order to increase coverage for things like jewelry and other valuable items, it’s recommended you purchase an enhancement.

Under the Valuable Possessions Coverage endorsement with MAPFRE, which can be added to any policy, you would be covered for items like:

  • Jewelry (individually owned articles of personal adornment composed at least partially of silver, gold, platinum or other precious metals or alloys)
  • Furs (furs and garments trimmed with fur)
  • Fine arts (includes paintings, etchings, pictures, tapestries or other bona fide works of art of rarity, historical value or artistic merit)
  • Silverware (silver-plated ware, goldware, gold-plated ware and pewterware except for jewelry, watches, coins and medal)
  • Cameras (includes carrying cases, films, lenses, filters, light meters, tripods, etc.)
  • Musical instruments (includes sheet music, stands, carrying cases, and straps used in connection with musical instruments)
  • Guns (firearms, scopes and miscellaneous property such as ammunition, clips, tripods, carrying cases, and straps used in connection with firearms)

For the items listed above, no deductible would apply, but there are maximum limits (for both individual items and aggregate amount for any one loss) and other specifics which your independent agent can discuss with you.

What kinds of things wouldn’t be covered if I purchased an enhancement?
Your independent agent, can speak to the specifics of what wouldn’t be covered under the Valuable Possessions Coverage but some things not covered are:

  • Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or inherent vice
  • Loss or damage caused by insects or vermin
  • Loss or damage to articles separately described and specifically insured under this policy or any other insurance
  • Loss or damage to bullion or ingots of gold, silver, or other precious metals, or unmounted gems
  • Loss or damage to property used in a profession or business, or arising out of the business pursuits of any insured, except incidental business use
  • Loss or damage which is expected or intended by the insured

What do I do if I want to add an enhancement to my policy?
The first thing you should do is document the items you want to insure. Make a list of the items (including serial numbers if they have them) and take pictures. Next, have the items appraised and get documentation from the appraiser. Last, contact your independent agent so they can work with you to add Valuable Possessions Coverage to your policy.

If you still have questions about how to protect your sentimental valuables or about homeowners insurance, contact your independent agent today!

Please Note:This content is not intended to describe any specific coverage offered by MAPFRE Insurance. No coverage is provided, bound or guaranteed by this article. Available coverages, credits and discounts vary from state to state and are subject to eligibility criteria and policy terms/conditions, which will control in the event of conflict between this article and your insurance policy. For information about your policy, please review your individual policy contract and speak with your insurance representative.

MAPFRE Insurance® is a brand and service mark of MAPFRE U.S.A. Corp. and its affiliates, American Commerce Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 4928-8); Citation Insurance CompanySM; The Commerce Insurance CompanySM; Commerce West Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 1372-2); and MAPFRE Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 3039-5). Not all products available in all states.


Preparing Your Car for a Hurricane

Preparing Your Car for a Hurricane

Disasters and emergencies can happen at any time, but when a hurricane or summer storm is on the horizon, there are many precautions you can take to ensure you are ready to evacuate safely, if need be, and that your vehicle is ready to go. Review insurance coverage...

read more
Preparing Your Home for a Hurricane

Preparing Your Home for a Hurricane

Hurricanes can impact people living along coastlines, but they can also cause major damage hundreds of miles inland due to storm surges, heavy winds, rip currents, and flooding. The Atlantic Hurricane Season begins June 1 and ends November 30, while the Eastern...

read more
Protecting Your Home From Lightning

Protecting Your Home From Lightning

Lightning strikes can happen any time there is a thunderstorm and can be a threat to both people and property. According to the National Weather Service, the threat of lightning increases as a storm approaches and peaks when it is overhead. It gradually diminishes as...

read more