Depending on where you live, snow and ice are starting to melt as temperatures begin to warm slightly. Yes, spring is around the corner! With that change in seasons comes more things to watch out for while you’re on the road. Check out these tips for safer spring driving.
Keep your car road-ready
- Replace your windshield wipers if they are more than 6-12 months old, or if they are leaving streaks
- Check your tire pressure as it will decrease in cold weather
- Inspect your tire treads to see if they have worn out over the winter
Watch for potholes that often emerge after a snowy winter
- If you can avoid a pothole safely ahead of time, do so if possible
- Can’t avoid it? Gently braking before driving over a pothole will help reduce damage to your vehicle
- Never swerve suddenly to avoid a pothole as that’s how accidents happen
Drive around standing water
- Avoid driving through puddles 6 inches or deeper to minimize the chance of damage to your engine
- If you must drive through deep water, drive slowly and steadily to avoid water getting into your engine
Slow down on slick roads as they are most slippery when it first begins to rain
- Increase your following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you
- Avoid using cruise control on wet roads
Use caution around construction zones
- Watch for workers entering the roadway
- Merge well in advance of a lane closure
- Follow cars at a safe distance
While driving along any road, keep an eye out for little ones, pedestrians and bike traffic enjoying the spring weather. Slowdown in residential areas and share the road with bicyclists.
We hope you find these spring driving tips helpful! Not a MAPFRE customer yet? Get a fast, free quote today to see how much you could save!
Please Note: This content is not intended to describe any specific coverage offered by MAPFRE Insurance. No coverage is provided, bound or guaranteed by this article. Available coverages, credits and discounts vary from state to state and are subject to eligibility criteria and policy terms/conditions, which will control in the event of conflict between this article and your insurance policy. For information about your policy, please review your individual policy contract and speak with your insurance representative.
MAPFRE Insurance® is a brand and service mark of MAPFRE U.S.A. Corp. and its affiliates, including American Commerce Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 4928-8), Citation Insurance CompanySM, The Commerce Insurance CompanySM, Commerce West Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 1372-2), MAPFRE Insurance CompanySM (Cal. COA 3039-5), and MAPFRE Insurance Company of FloridaSM.