At MAPFRE Insurance we build relationships based on trust. We’re committed to providing high quality products and valuable services, as well as exceptional customer experiences. That’s MAPFRE… People who take care of people.®
Then & Now
MAPFRE Insurance originated in Massachusetts as The Commerce Group, Inc. (CGI), founded in the town of Webster, Massachusetts in 1972. We are the largest private passenger automobile insurer, homeowners’ insurer and commercial automobile insurer in Massachusetts. We offer property and casualty insurance in 19 states across the United States through a network of more than 4,200 independent agents and brokers. We are rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
Our company provides a full range of insurance products, including coverage for automobiles, homes, motorcycles, watercraft and businesses, as well as term life insurance. MAPFRE Insurance is part of the MAPFRE Group, a global insurance company present on the five continents. It is the benchmark insurer in the Spanish market, the leading multinational insurance group in Latin America and one of the top 10 insurance companies in Europe in terms of premium volume. MAPFRE employs more than 38,000 professionals and services approximately 34 million clients. In 2015 MAPFRE's revenue surpassed 26,700 million euros, with net earnings of 709 million euros.
MAPFRE S.A Corporate Timeline
- 1933: The Association of Owners of Rural properties in Spain creates MAPFRE.
- 1962: MAPFRE acquires Central Public Works and Appropriations develops a network of funding throughout the Spanish territory.
- 1975: FUNDACIÓN MAPFRE is created. MAPFRE REINSURANCE SERVICES is set up.
- 1981: Central Investment and Loan becomes MAPFRE.
- 1984-1992: MAPFRE expands its presence in Colombia, Argentina, Paraguay, Chile, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Ireland, and Brazil.
- 2008: US insurer, COMMERCE is acquired by MAPFRE.
- 2010: The Commerce Group, Inc. renamed MAPFRE USA.
- 2011: Ranked by Fortune and Forbes as among the “500 Best and Most Admired Companies in the World”.
- Has offered a wide range of insurance solutions for both home and vehicle owners since 1972.
- Is the 19th largest writer of private passenger auto insurance in the United States.
- Distributes products through a network of more than 4,200 independent agents and brokers.
- Has branch offices and association agreements across the United States.
- MAPFRE Insurance is a financially sound business with $2.64 billion in direct written premium writings reported in 2014. *